In Irwin McGrather's lastest novel, The Haunting Bees, one is commanded into a strange delectable plase at the very begunnning. c
The central character, Joe High, is thrown into a bush maze filled with naked women and buildings made entirely of candy. he runs and runs and we, as the reader are trying to decide if this is all a dream. His feet sticking in molasses, yellow jackets swarming in his goateeee, High can't shake his fixation on a pair of identical buildings in the distance. One can't help but feel this is an allusion to something in real life.
Real life, we ask ourselves again..is this a dream?
The first chapter is without remorse, arduous and somehow fluid. I'm reminded of Burroughs. but the innocence of it all is too much like a little golden book. or tales of a fourth grade nothing. In this instance a stack of turtles come tumbling out of the sky. Intertwined with art reviews and some strange offal material. Like a bean stalk in reverse. with midgets slithering down the length, riding veins. a slalom. shalom. salome. off with yr head!
John High does wake up to find himself chained to a computer by the thin tissue that is his eyelids. his fingertips have been replaced with gumdrops and jujubees. his eyebrows are now and laters. chest hair is pixie stix dust. elbows are made of salt water taffy from an oceanic place, the real stufff. not some fake stuff.
artnews is an internet witch. a sandal made of teeth. a target that sticks up. a torn up book, an intern with a hair net from the 80's. a soup line martyr wanting a paycheck.
irwin Mcgrather's latest book didnt really hold my attention. i wouldnt buy it. i'd go to an art opening instead.
Joe High manages to turn your page for you at certain points. the pages seem wet and you wonder if some hallucinogenic material has seeped into our blood stream throgh your gumdrops. you taste the page. it has no taste, but a strange self induced tingle sizzles your tongue anyways. you are reminded of bastian and atreyu. a dumpster with your name on it. dont look in that mirror! aaaaaaaagh! who is da man? eh?
irwin Mcgrather's novel, The Haunting Bees has stayed with me. id say its the best thing since sliced bread. go out and buy it. it is great.
Artnews is an art review in reverse.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
If you think you think you should heed the warning of your mother and sister and not risk uncertain sorcery,turn to page 25
- ► 2010 (57)
- Niikuni Seiichi was born and died on a blog for m...
- wait various amounts of time and have all of these...
- Introducing! Eggtooth's Artist Survival Scheming...
- plastic waffle
- iM YOU
- OLD WRITING
- PRINCE & ANDY WARHOL
- SLOW PAINTING IN ATL (SEPT 2006)
- ARTISTS STATEMENTS
- BOOK REVIEW
- PERFORM ART
- WHAT IS A PERCHERON?
- first, id like to say congrats to aaron at pd.org ...
- POOR LITTLE MONKIES
- okay.. sex.. sex is like a crosswalk parade. s...
- IGNORANT EXPLETIVES (& CHICKEN WINGS)
- FILTHY HURT
- Luddite Machine is a slow quickening a blurred ...
- ARTIST TALK Engaging and with Grace. We've fig...
- WHATS THIS ABOUT HORSE?
- designer of covers monster who r you? anton le w...
- maybe we could get Timothy Belt Buckles to hold an...
- ONCE MORE WITHOUT FEELING
- cute joke. harp seals. they're so cute. ever rea...
- degenerative.. im gonna have to say nope to this...
- IMAGINE EARRING
- PRE-RECORDED LIVE
- A TRUE SEA TURTLE &
- I drop a hand drawn business card to the floor, wh...
- AFTER A YOUNGBLOOD RENTAL NIGHT
- EGGTOOFUS BEAN
- who are some of the exceptions, in your honest opi...
- How to Pick Pockets (in galleries & festivals) b...
- howdy all. what's for SALE? today.... touch me ...
- somebody please validate a pressing need for art. ...
- by eggtooth and Fay Lynx "Let's take it to the s...
- I DISAGREE WITH MYSELF
- boredom.i will speak directly i guess. but it is b...
- wait a minute let me get this straight...you went ...
- id like to sabotage the on-ramp sign at 85 and 285...
- Dwindling in the mire of self examined will and th...
- 2 blur to SCRIPT
- out for context
- its elton john. or perhaps it is a good construc...
- WHY JEFF?
- I SHLD SHUT UP ABOUT AIKIDO
- A SUGGESTION
- OH MY.
- Im glad you chose to qualify your defintions with ...
- SERIOUS DILETTANT
- OUT OF CONTEXT
- SO I CAN SEE MYSELF
- REVERSE ORDER
- ANCIENT MEMORY
- Does anybody here remember that amazing blue bug e...
- I thought Christians view human life, the physical...
- ▼ February (65)