Oglethorpe University opened an exhibition this past evening. On the wall is mounted a MANIFESTO by a group of New Realist painters.The exhibition is titled, Slow Painting: A deliberate Renaissance.The paintings themselves are very well executed. Incredibly executed.If Ken Noland was the "fastest" painter alive, I suppose these are pretty slow. I'm thinking perhaps that is part of the suggested point. To ask you to think further about whether or not you have "gotten it".One is supposed to bear in mind the pace of life in our times.
The paintings themselves have an immediacy to their aesthetic beauty, for certain.It is always fascinating to see something made with such whispers of touch. Many of the themes, while having returned to ideals and techniques born in the 15th century, carry forward to now with modern references. Subtle references. They are beautiful pieces of work, but I could not shake from my mind the bold claim that this is a new movement.
it's pretty interesting.
There are 22 painters in the show, featuring close to 50 paintings and drawings. They are calling it Slow Painting and are declaring that it is a New Movement. The curator of Oglethorpe's museum was proud to present the work, giving a nice speech and presenting a book titled, In Praise of Slowness:Challenging the Cult of Speed by Carl Honore. He made references to the Futurist Manifesto and movements of the sixties, wanting to compare and contrast what was happening before our eyes.. He declared with deep respect, the honor it was to have such an opening, such a movement, take place at Oglethorpe. This was delivered to a crowd of what Appeared to be mostly rich octogenarians.Perfunctory smiles and nods of approval were de rigeur.
After the show credits and manifesto references,mrs kathy koger won a Lufthansa trip from a raffle drawn from a big glass container! Let us say Yippee! for Mrs Kruger!.Koger?woohoo to manifestos and free vacations!
The book (In Praise of Slowness) evidently carries much of the same philosophy towards life, or at least serves to reinforce many of the points that these slow painters are attempting to make.You can purchase this book in the gallery store. I was unable to get a print out of the previously mentioned MANIFESTO. rats, i say. not that i asked. how silly that would have been! I could have dropped 15 bucks on the show catalogue, but i figured i could find the MANIFESTO on the internet. I was wrong. guess they showed me.
I'd say go.if you like paintings and art and all that stuff.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
If you think you think you should heed the warning of your mother and sister and not risk uncertain sorcery,turn to page 25
- ► 2010 (57)
- Niikuni Seiichi was born and died on a blog for m...
- wait various amounts of time and have all of these...
- Introducing! Eggtooth's Artist Survival Scheming...
- plastic waffle
- iM YOU
- OLD WRITING
- PRINCE & ANDY WARHOL
- SLOW PAINTING IN ATL (SEPT 2006)
- ARTISTS STATEMENTS
- BOOK REVIEW
- PERFORM ART
- WHAT IS A PERCHERON?
- first, id like to say congrats to aaron at pd.org ...
- POOR LITTLE MONKIES
- okay.. sex.. sex is like a crosswalk parade. s...
- IGNORANT EXPLETIVES (& CHICKEN WINGS)
- FILTHY HURT
- Luddite Machine is a slow quickening a blurred ...
- ARTIST TALK Engaging and with Grace. We've fig...
- WHATS THIS ABOUT HORSE?
- designer of covers monster who r you? anton le w...
- maybe we could get Timothy Belt Buckles to hold an...
- ONCE MORE WITHOUT FEELING
- cute joke. harp seals. they're so cute. ever rea...
- degenerative.. im gonna have to say nope to this...
- IMAGINE EARRING
- PRE-RECORDED LIVE
- A TRUE SEA TURTLE &
- I drop a hand drawn business card to the floor, wh...
- AFTER A YOUNGBLOOD RENTAL NIGHT
- EGGTOOFUS BEAN
- who are some of the exceptions, in your honest opi...
- How to Pick Pockets (in galleries & festivals) b...
- howdy all. what's for SALE? today.... touch me ...
- somebody please validate a pressing need for art. ...
- by eggtooth and Fay Lynx "Let's take it to the s...
- I DISAGREE WITH MYSELF
- boredom.i will speak directly i guess. but it is b...
- wait a minute let me get this straight...you went ...
- id like to sabotage the on-ramp sign at 85 and 285...
- Dwindling in the mire of self examined will and th...
- 2 blur to SCRIPT
- out for context
- its elton john. or perhaps it is a good construc...
- WHY JEFF?
- I SHLD SHUT UP ABOUT AIKIDO
- A SUGGESTION
- OH MY.
- Im glad you chose to qualify your defintions with ...
- SERIOUS DILETTANT
- OUT OF CONTEXT
- SO I CAN SEE MYSELF
- REVERSE ORDER
- ANCIENT MEMORY
- Does anybody here remember that amazing blue bug e...
- I thought Christians view human life, the physical...
- ▼ February (65)